12.31.2008

Don't Let The Door Hit You On The Way Out, 2008

As you can tell by my subject I'm a long, long way away from achieving any sort of zen-ness in my life. But my soul is traveling many paths right now and the path towards inner peace is the one I'm hitting the hardest. Not even my treadmill is getting as much attention these days.

This is a great article on New Year's Resolutions and a more wise way to make them. It is from a Buddhist perspective but I think it applies to anyone no matter their affiliation. I'm slightly between spiritual paths myself at the moment but I found a lot in there that I want to apply to my own thought processes.

In particular is this:

The Buddha gave us some clues about the kind of thoughts that help move us forward. He said, “If one speaks or acts with a pure mind, happiness follows like a shadow that never departs.” What is a “pure mind”? It’s the part of us that reveals our essential goodness. We can tell we’re acting with a pure mind when we’re motivated by genuine feelings of kindness and generosity, and a wise understanding of our responsibility toward both ourselves and our world. When we act from that place, we flow more naturally and easily. And happiness flows more easily to us.

My own resolutions this year are mainly to love wiser, treat my soul and body with more respect and spend every day stepping forward. General I know but getting bogged down in specifics is something of a downfall for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment